Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Small house living: upstairs hallway

I'll try to make sense of this hallway in this post. Upstairs, we have one main bathroom and three bedrooms. Just to the left of our bathroom is a closet I chose to use mainly for linens. (makes sense, right?) It holds the expected towels, sheets, and blankets, but I use it for bedrolls as well. The tippy top shelf is really too high for me to use so that's where we store less-used toiletries and light bulbs. I'm not sure when it became the place to store light bulbs, but, in a smallish house, you do what you have to do. The towels shown are for my older two daughters; they don't have towel bars in the bathroom either so their towels have hung outside on the hallway wall for 12 years. (okay, I wash them regularly) I find they don't make the wall moist or moldy.

In the next post, I'll show how crammed my four daughters are in the one bedroom. When all four girls were moved in together, it became necessary to move a dresser out of the cramped quarters. We tucked it at the top of the stairs just outside the bathroom door. I painted it a coordinating colour with the stair way and it works as a 'horizontal surface' for the older daughters' perfumes and nail polish bottles. The



This is what we affectionately call the 'games closet'. It's right outside two other bedroom doors just down the hall way. In this closet, we store primarily games (duh!) and puzzles but also a few craft supplies and photo albums (from the days of paper pictures) There is a healthy stack of gift bags on that top shelf; we're really big on reusing gift bags! When we first moved in, I kept the kids' school books up here but that was too tedious for them to have to run upstairs every time they changed subjects. The lower shelves hold Lego blocks and Barbie dolls though those toys are very seldom played anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment